1 red chili
1 large onion
8 tbspoon salt
8 dried chilies
2 cloves garlic
3 piece ginger
1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
3/4 cup vinegar
3 1/2 tspoon sugar
- Cut cucumbers and carrot into strips.
- Cut the red chili into strips and the large onion into wedges.
- Sprinkle salt over the cut vegetables and let them stand for at least 2 hours.
- When the vegetables are limp, wash away the salt and spread them to dry.
- Grind together the chilies, shallots, garlic, ginger and candlenuts.
- Pound the dried prawns.
- Heat the oil and fry mustard seed for 1/2 minute before adding in the ground ingredients and turmeric powder.
- Fry for another 5 minutes.
- When the oil separates, add in the dried prawns and continue cooking for another 3 minutes before adding in the vinegar and sugar.
- Cook slowly until the mixture is fairly thick.
- Add in more salt and sugar if necessary.
- Stir in the prepared vegetables and toss quickly to mix well.
- When the vegetables are well mixed with the spices, remove the pan from the heat.
- Cool slightly before storing in clean, dry jars.