October 3, 2014

Pak Lo Pork

Ingredients:

500 g pork
3 cups water
3 tbsp black rice vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tbsp 5 spice powder
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 clove garlic and 1 (3 inch ) galangal pounded
3 tbsp dark soy sauce
4 tbsp light soy sauce
4 tbsp sugar or to taste
1/4 tsp salt or to taste
6 cups hot boiling water


Method:

Clean pork knuckles by plucking-off hair and scraping the surface of rind to remove dirt; set-aside.

In a pot, boil 3 cups of water with 3 tbsp vinegar, blanch pork knuckle thoroughly for few minutes, drain and set aside.

In a bowl, mix together 1/2 tsp salt and five spice powder, rub the mixture all over the pork knuckle and allow to marinade for at least few hours.

Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok over medium high heat.

Add-in the pounded garlic and galangal, saute till aroma.

Add-in dark soy sauce, light soy sauce and sugar, continue stirring till fully incorporated.

Add-in pork, turn to evenly coat with gravy and shrunk slightly.

Add-in hot water, allow to simmer for 3 hours or till pork is tender and cook thoroughly and the gravy is thicken (turn occasionally).

Add-in salt and ready to serve.

Note: this recipe is best cook with duck meat

3 comments:

Rose world said...

Yum yum! Hakka pak lo ark (duck). I love when my mum cook pak lo ark. I never cook it although my mum taught me the method. Take too much times.

Sharon D. said...

Wow..this is a great dish. I can't wait to try this one!

Ezvina said...

Rose: same here, I think Pak Lo pork is easier, duck, I let my sister and mum cook ;)

Sharon D: very nice, must try.