- 1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk (or milk + lemon juice)
- 2 (1-ounce) bottles red liquid food coloring
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 1/4 to 2 1/2cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating at low speed until smooth. Stir in vanilla, beating until mixture is blended.
- Beat cake mix and next 5 ingredients at low speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes. Spoon batter evenly into 24 paper- or foil-lined muffin cups, filling two-thirds full; bake according to package directions. Remove from pans immediately, and cool on wire racks.
- Spread cupcakes evenly with Cream Cheese Frosting.