Ingredients:2 cups caster sugar
1 3/4 cups superfine flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Van Houlten)
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
Method of Preparation:
- Preheat oven to 180deg C. Butter two - 9 inch (23 cm) round cake pans and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla extract. Whisk for one minute using a whisk. Add the dry ingredients and whisk together for two minutes.
- Lastly stir in boiling water. Batter will be tin, so do not use baking tins that have a removable bottom.
- Divide the batter equally into two 9 inch pans.
- Bake for 20 minutes or so, until toothpick comes out clean.
For thick chocolate ganache suitable for filling the cake, use two parts dark chocolate to one part cream. For smooth glossy fondant that is loose enough to flow but thick enough to drip over the edges of the cake, use one part dark chocolate to one part cream. You can increase or decrease the chocolate to cream depending on your desired consistency. Recommend Beryl's dark chocolate compound (not milk chocolate!) and Paul's whipping cream.
- Coarsely chop the chocolate and transfer to a heat-proof bowl.
- Bring the cream to just a boil over medium-high heat. Make sure it doesn't boil over!
- Start slowly then vigorously whisk the mixture in one direction until smooth and creamy. This may take a little while, so just keeping whisking.